Wednesday, December 01, 2010

SCMM 2011 - Sprint to Serve








Dear friends,

On Sunday, January 16, 2011, I will be running the half marathon (21km) at the Mumbai Marathon as part of my company's corporate team.
More than just running the marathon, I am supporting the NGO “Helen Keller Institute for the Deaf and Deafblind”.
I have decided to pledge to raise an amount of Rs10,000/- (Rupees Ten Thousand only) for this NGO.
I seek your support in this noble cause.


My running experience
So far, I have run 5 half marathons – having completed 3 half marathons at Mumbai in 2008, 2009 and 2010 along with 2 half marathons in Delhi in 2008 and 2010.
Recently, I completed my 5th half marathon in Delhi on Sunday, November 21, 2010 clocking a time of 2:44:47.
My aim is to complete the half marathon in Mumbai on January 16, 2011 in less than 2:30 hours.


My request
As part of the company corporate team, I am supporting the NGO “Helen Keller Institute for the Deaf and Deafblind”.
My goal is to raise a pledge amount of Rs 10,000/- (Rupees Ten Thousand) in support of the NGO by December 15, 2010.

You can support my run by making a contribution by cheque in favour of “United Way of Mumbai” before December 15, 2010.
Your donation will be tax-deductible and you will receive a certificate under section 80G for the same.

If you wish to send your cheque and make a contribution, please drop me an email at kvkulkarni@gmail.com

In your email, please also send me your following details:
1. Full name
2. Complete postal address with pin code at which you would like to receive the certificate under section 80G
3. Email-id


About the Helen Keller Institute
The Helen Keller Institute is engaged in the education of deaf and deafblind children. The Institute has helped educate and train 32 Deafblind children and 130 deaf children, since its inception in July 1977. At present, the Institute has 25 Deafblind and 64 deaf children on its roll. The institute is now recognized nationally and internationally and is aided by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, New Delhi and Women, Child and Handicapped Development Office, Maharashtra.
Click here to visit their website: http://helenkellerinstitutefordeafanddeafblind.org/



My inspiration



Hindustan Times had published this award winning photograph a few years ago.
Link:
http://www.hindustantimes.com/photos-news/photo-story-news/PictureoftheyearandGeneralnewsaward/Article4.aspx
22 year old Angad Dev Singh Dugal, who suffers from cerebral palsy, was inspired by the advertisements of the Mumbai Marathon, and after months of practice at Juhu beach, finally participated in the Dream Run on January 22, 2007. His mother & sister ran with him to support him all through the race.
When he used to get tired, he would sit on the plastic chair; armed with an unparalleled determination & courage, he finished the race.
If he can run, why can’t we?

Another inspiration is Dr Ashis Roy – I have seen him run personally at Mumbai marathon and at Delhi marathon in January 2010 and November 2010 respectively.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashis_Roy
The back of his t-shirt said “Dr Roy – Born 1932” – it took me a while to figure out that I was running next to a 78-year old youngster.
Wikipedia told me that Dr Roy started running at the age of 52; has run 85 marathons till the age of 76; and has a target of 100 marathons before he turns 80 in 2012.

I greatly appreciate your support and will keep you posted on my progress.

Sincerely,
Ketan Kulkarni
-----------------------------------------------------

No comments: